Car Hood Awning

1949 Studabaker Champion

IMG_1624
1949 Studabaker Champion hood after buffing with steel wool and wiping off with a damp rag.

My father-in-law was scrapping a 1949 Studabaker Champion so I decided to re-purpose the hood. The hood was completely rusted but in great shape. I buffed down the hood with steel wool just to smooth the surface without removing the rust. I then took it to Maaco and had them shoot it with a clear coat- wow! The clear coat really brought out the different colors and patterns of the rust. Absolutely gorgeous. I would love to do a whole care like this.

We put the original ornaments back on it and Ken welded up some rear brackets to mount it to the building. We used the original bolts on the underside of the hood so we wouldn’t have to weld to the hood. The only modification we did to the hood was to drill a 3/8″ hole in the center for the all-thread center support. I hated to drill into it but it was the practical solution. We attached the all-thread to a turnbuckle so we could adjust the angle of the hood. With the help of the scaffolding it only took us an hour to mount, which was a good thing because a storm was rolling in.

The finished product was ridiculously cool. The curved shape of the hood conceals its underside and gives it great character. We did notice a little wobble in the front when the winds kicked up and we may have to install some cross cables on the underside of it for a little extra stability. Overall this project was a huge success and was pretty simple to do.

IMG_3030
Scaffolding made the install a piece of cake.

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3032
Ken and I securing underside brackets.

 

IMG_2477a
Final outcome of hood awning. The clear coat really makes it pop.
IMG_2476
Underside of hood. I’m sure it will be covered I’m magnets in no time at all. I still need to install a motion sensor light to the underside of the hood.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply